A newsletter can be a wonderful, economical way to communicate with prospects, customers, employees or distributors. Just follow these ten easy steps for newsletter success.
1) Define Your Audience — Who are you publishing for? Clients (customers) – present, past and prospective? Employees? Your audience will define your content.
2) Set Objectives — Create a solid foundation for your newsletter by writing down what you want to achieve.
3) Plan Content — What interests your audience? Build your newsletter around whatever that is. Plan content at least half a year at a time. You can make changes along the way.
4) Establish a Budget — Newsletters can be cost effective, but they’re not FREE. When you set a budget, consider start-up as well as ongoing, per-issue costs.
5) Decide On a Schedule — Like any new habit it takes time to establish a pattern for a newsletter. But DO establish a pattern. Your reward will be consistent readership.
6) Select a Name — Your “baby” needs a name. Choose something simple and relevant.
7) Develop a Design — Determine format and length. Then select a simple design – and stick with it.
8) Assign the Task of Writing — Designate a good writer, editor and proofreader – people who’ll respect your deadlines and tone.
9) Build Your Audience With Promotion — There are lots of ways to build internal or external readership. Use them.
10)Keep It Going — Plan ahead. Maintain your schedule. Be disciplined. Don’t be afraid to call in help if you need it. Once you start the newsletter habit, it’s important to stick with it.