Here’s a business marketing tip to gain maximum profit from any product or service in your business marketing lineup, and how you will gain extreme profits when you follow these 5 simple, LAZY steps;
1. Look not at what you are offering through your business marketing efforts – look at WHO WILL BUY your product/service. Make a picture of your ‘typical buyer’ – who they are, their age, what they like to do, etc. This is often known as the ‘target market prospect’, yet, the more detailed you define this ‘target’ in your business marketing, the better.
I’ve even gone to the point of giving this ‘target market’ person a name and put a picture up on my computer monitor (find a ‘friendly face’ on the Internet somewhere and ‘tag’ it as your target market prospect) – get your business marketing centered around every aspect of your target – the more you know them, the easier it is to chat about what they need.
2. Develop a list of your target market prospect’s likes and dislikes as it would relate to a product/service similar to yours. Consider some questions they would have, or some typical objections to buying this similar product/service. One way to personalize the business marketing research of your ‘target market prospect’ is to ‘role play’ – think about your prospect as a good friend that you are having a picnic with (or even a co-worker at the water cooler, etc.) and in passing, your friend brings up that ‘similar’ product/service.
What do they say about it?
What are their questions/concerns?
Is there a ‘running joke’ about the competition’s product/service that defines a hole in their business marketing? (i.e., “Did you hear about the lady that used X?”)
All these things need to be addressed, and documented.
Let your mind be creative and wander, but keep it to a time limit – about 15-20 minutes per business marketing ‘play’ session. Think of nothing but this ‘conversation’ during this creative (often fun) time.
It might even be helpful for you to say everything that comes to mind out loud during these business marketing planning sessions(as silly as that sounds, it works…) and record it, as some of the best business marketing ideas get overlooked when you are trying to write them down quickly.
Listening back for those ‘nuggets’ might even trigger other ‘bits of business marketing gold’ for you to work with.
3. Figure out how your product/service and business marketing plan is similar, yet different than the competition.
Just how does your solution overcome all the questions, concerns and yes, even ‘jokes’ from your target?
If you can’t answer these questions for yourself, how would you expect to answer them from your prospect?
The beautiful part about this business marketing exercise is that, if you go through it with commitment, you will already know the answers to the prospect’s questions BEFORE they ask them – which quickly eliminates any fears you might have about talking with them.
4. Continue this simple exercise – every couple days for a week or so. Giving 15-20 minutes of serious thought to your business marketing plan and role playing every couple days will stimulate your conscious mind, as well as keep your unconscious mind actively thinking about it.
You’ll be surprised at the outcome of taking these steps seriously.
But be forewarned – you will very likely have a very different outlook about your prospect after one week of this simple, yet extremely effective business marketing, ‘target market’ finding tool!
You will know them as well as you know yourself, so you will be able to talk with them about things quickly, simply and with the best, consistent results of your business marketing efforts.
5. Now, take a look at your product/service and business marketing plan – through the prospect’s eyes (now that you can clearly see through them…)
Does it fit your prospect’s needs?
Does it answer their questions and eliminate their fears?
Is it priced right for your target prospect?
Is there a market for your product/service other than your personalized target market prospect? (This step is vital as a ‘reality check” – and one that many business marketing planners miss)
When you follow these five steps faithfully, you will have credibility, knowledge and successful long-term relationships with your customers (who used to be simply ‘target market prospects’ before you understood the power of this business marketing tip!).